Monthly Archives: April 2011

Renaming an LDAP entry

I spent a better part of today struggling with the ModifyDNRequest class from the System.DirectoryServices namespace. I was trying to rename a bunch of entries that had invalid escaping in their DNs (thanks to yours truly botching the escaping, sigh), and I kept getting “the distinguished name contains invalid syntax” errors.

Here’s what MSDN says about the NewName property on the request class:

The NewName property contains the new object name.

So I sort of assumed it’d be the new CN for the object I was renaming – namely, the user’s username. But that didn’t work out. After digging around for a while, I noticed that here’s what MSDN says about the constructor parameters:

Parameters

distinguishedName
Type: System.String The current distinguished name of the object.
newParentDistinguishedName
Type: System.String The distinguished name of the new parent of the object.
newName
Type: System.String The new distinguished name of the object.

Alas, the last bit is rather misleading. It looks like it’s supposed to be the new DN for the object. That’s not the case either. What you’re actually supposed to use is the new relative distinguished name, which is the most significant part of the DN: the CN of the object… along with the cn= prefix.

PS: Considering that the object essentially takes three different distinguished names as arguments, it’d be real nice if it was good enough to tell which one of them was the one with the invalid syntax.

Cheers.